Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas!

What do the Japanese do to celebrate Christmas? The opposite of what most Westerners do. You know New Years? That's their Christmas. Parties, hanging out with friends, big romantic dates. In Japan, New Years is the big family holiday where they visit shrines or temples. Oh, and apparently chicken is a thing, for Christmas not New Years. Fried chicken. KFC fried chicken to be specific.

He's a plump old man with a white beard and a red suit. That's basically Santa, right?

I forgot to mention the cake. 
Yeah, cookies aren't really Christmas fare here. Cakes are the Japanese Christmas sweet. You literally have to reserve your chicken bucket. That's how popular fried chicken is for Christmas.

So what did I do this Christmas day? Besides finally updating this blog, I watched a bunch of movies, did laundry, and baked cookies! I figured out how to do some baking in my microwave and the cookies came out delicious!


Crunchy on the outside, gooey inside, and chocolate everywhere!

I also found a church in Tokyo that does an English Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. It was a nice service with a bunch of my favorite Christmas songs. And it was in the middle of Harajuku, so the street decorations were gorgeous.




And then there was  a motorcycle gang dressed as Santas.

Because Japan.


And tomorrow I'm Skyping with my family on their Christmas Day! 

Merry Christmas to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas, my darling daughter! Can't wait to see/talk with you on our Christmas night. Cookies look delish!!! Love all the Christmas lights. Your Dad and I found a church in Montgomery that did an 11 pm service last night. I enjoyed singing the carols and nothing is so beautiful as lighting the candles in a darkened sanctuary and singing "Silent Night". Loved the Pocky Sticks in my stocking this morning, too!

    ReplyDelete